Student visas

Each applicant must apply for and receive the necessary visas from their home country before embarking on the journey to the Netherlands. Students need both a European (Schengen) visa for study in the Netherlands and Germany, and a Swiss visa for study in Switzerland.

Services at Delft University of Technology for non-EU/EFTA nationals

Delft University of Technology offers Master’s students from non-EU/EFTA countries special services, such as mediation in visa application, a health and liability insurance and an introductory summer school.

* EU countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.
EFTA countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland.

European visa

The visa acquisition procedure for individual students takes at least three months but can, in some cases, take anything up to six months. If you require a visa to enter the Netherlands, Delft University of Technology will be happy to mediate for you. Your visa will normally be issued within six weeks after we have filed the application with the Dutch immigration authorities. Please note that this service is only available for Master’s students, but not for their partners or other relatives.

Before we can apply for your visa, we must have proof that your financial resources meet the criteria laid down by the Dutch authorities. You must be able to finance the first year’s tuition fee and cover the first year’s living expenses (approximately 6800 euro). We can only apply for your visa once the first year’s tuition fee has been received by Delft University of Technology together with the amount required to cover living expenses. Your letter of admission will specify how much has to be paid before a visa can be applied for. You will be reimbursed the amount for your living expenses shortly after your arrival in Delft (it will be transferred to your bank account).

Additional visa requirements

Additional visa requirements apply to nationals from the following countries:

  • People’s Republic of China
    Chinese nationals require a certificate from the Netherlands Education Support Office (NESO) in Beijing before Delft University of Technology can apply for their visa (see also NESO- certificate).
  • Ghana, the Dominican Republic, India, Nigeria and Pakistan
    The Netherlands Embassy or Consulate General requires a certified birth certificate. This document has to be verified and legalised by the Netherlands Embassy or Consulate General before Delft University of Technology can start the visa application. This procedure may take some months. We advise you to contact the Netherlands Embassy or Consulate General for more details, as soon as you have received the admission letter.
Swiss visa

Non-EU/EFTA students will need an additional visa to enter Switzerland. You can apply for a visa for the second semester of the Master’s program in Zurich at the Swiss embassy in The Hague. Please note that your visa application should be handed in at least three months before the beginning of the second semester! We would also like to ask you pay special attention to the required evidence of financial means. You must produce evidence of sufficient financial means to support your stay in Switzerland. You can do this by providing a bank statement and/or scholarship awards. In either way, you must show that you have at least CHF 1’750/EUR 1’610 per month (or roughly EUR 16’000 in total)!
More information about Visa guidelines and the application procedure can be found here.

Comments are closed